Home Page

Title 1898

Section 5 - Pages 22-27 (inclusive)

The Church Registers
The Church Registers date from 1609. They record principally baptisms, marriages, deaths, and charitable collections. These last are rather striking as many were made in the 17th century on behalf of needy persons in distant parts of the country. Between November 26th 1680 and February 15th 1681, there are distinctly stated to have been seven burials in wool. The phrase afterwards used is 'according to the Act'. On April 6th 1681, a burial in linen took place, which was 'allowed' by authority. The entries are generally neat and well written and give a number of surnames still found in the village. Two Prayer Books date from 1839 and 1848 respectively, and a Bible from 1807.

A Sun-dial
On the south-east buttress of the tower is a stone sun-dial.

Derivation of Sundry Terms

  1. The Earl of Eu possessed a mill in the parish, the rent of which as 7s. in the money of the period.
  2. There was another Ralph, Bishop of Chichester, who died in 1124. He was so zealous in his labours he made a tour of his diocese three times a year to preach the Gospel, demanding neither help nor hospitality from clergy or laity. However, he welcomed and appreciated voluntary assistance.

  3. Burials in churches took place at a very early date. At first they were confined to porches. Then persons eminent in rank or sanctity received the honour of sepulture within the nave. King Edgar in his Canons (950-975) attempted to check the practice.

  4. Church bells came into use in Europe at the beginning of the seventh century. They were then neither dated or inscribed. By the time of the Norman Conquest great progress in their manufacture had been made. Norman church towers were large and massive because of the great weight of their bells. The custom of dating bells arose about the year 1570.

  5. A Manor before the Conquest was an estate having a Court of Justice. Churches were built on these; and the patronage passed with them from one owner to another.

  6. The Leuga of Battle Abbey was the land considered to be within a radius of a mile-and-a-half from it. Obviously it included all the property claimed by the Abbot.

  7. St. Martin, celebrated for his religious zeal, was a Bishop of Tours in France. He died in 397 and his remains are interred in a magnificent tomb at Tours.

  8. A Prebend is a private source of maintenance of a dignitary of a collegiate or cathedral church. The prior or vicar of Hooe assisted in Divine Service at a former collegiate church of St. Mary-in-the-Castle, Hastings.

  9. A piscina was a shallow basin or sink in which the priest washed his hands and rinsed the vessels.

  10. A Rood-loft was a gallery reached by a staircase in the wall. Attached to this was a rood-screen, on which was a rood (or cross) with statues of the Virgin Mary, S.S. Peter and John or other saints (NQ), also candlesticks and other decorations. (EB II 472).

  11. A sedilium was a seat in the sanctuary for the priests.

  12. A Stoup was a basin for holy water (blessed by a priest) and was placed at the entrance to a church.

  13. Secular canons were a body nearly approaching our parochial clergy. Our clergy may be said to have sprung from them. They lived a kind of monastic life wherever the Christian faith was introduced into a new part of England. They issued forth constantly from their seclusion, either to instruct novices, perform the great offices of the Church for members wherever two or three were gathered together, or to penetrate still further into the spiritual darkness by which they were surrounded. As these little oases in the desert were generally formed into bishoprics, and became the seats of the diocesans, such early labourers in the cause of Christ became connected with the churches or cathedrals. (Life of Chaucer, by John Sanders, 1845).

  14. Between the years 1739 and 1748 the sea so choked up Hooe Haven with beach that the water could not escape. An outlet was made at a cost of £1,000.

  15. The great Andred Forest formerly stretched away through the Weald from the north of Hooe; Hooe possessed a haven, and is on the road from Pevensey to London, which appears to have existed in the time of the Britons. It was the opinion that Julius Caesar landed at Pevensey (54 BC) marched across the Level to the place now called Hooe, there encamped his soldiers and made his headquarters (or at Hurstmonceux).

The Saxon leaders Aella and Cissa made Pevensey their point of attack and from that town subdued the natives and founded the county in 491; in 670 AD, Wilfrid of York was shipwrecked on the coast near Selsea, and at once began to preach to the heathen Saxons; his efforts were so successful he was consecrated the first Bishop of Selsea. Sigga, Bishop of Chichester, was present at the Synod held by Cuthbert, Archbishop of Canterbury in 746 (MB V 540). The plan of Hooe Church is mainly Saxon, like Greenstead Church, built in 1013, and like Poynings Church.


13th. Century
Peter de Collemede
14th. Century
John de Woodford Thomas de Alston William de Aston
John de Flete John Henry John Ivot
John de Thornton John de Erdington Henry Brackle
John de Wade Thomas Alston Thomas de Stanley
John de Haselarton Robert Richond William de Aston
Armond Flitting John Landreyn Salomon Haywode
John de Flete John de Roxceby Thomas Staundon
John de Tamworth Robert Faryngton Thomas Boteler
John Ellerker John Scarle Walter Gibbes
Robert de Walton Richard Stockton Ralph Repyngdon
Nicholas Talmach Nicholas Slack Nicholas Mocking
William de Osberston John Vyne Thomas Standon
William Stanford (AC XXI 60-62)

All the Incumbents in the fourteenth century were presented to the living by the Crown

15th Century
Hugh Holbache Thomas Bailly John Champayn
Richard Blyth William Mokking John Wood
John Everdon Richard Wells James Whitstone

16th Century
Robert Phipps Richard Hollyer

17th Century
John Eglionby William White John Bushnell 1656-1660
Marmaduke Burton John Gilmor William Watson 1660-1668
John Gilvin Robert James Henry Fisher (?-1680)
John Moore John Brown 1680-1687

18th Century
Thomas Bowers 1687-1708 Became Bishop of Chichester (1722-24)
Thomas Lord 1708-1728 Joseph Wise 1762
Richard Thornton 1728 Rev. Thomas Bracken 1773
Rev. Wenham 1746

19th Century
Thomas Fuller 1796-1832 Richard King Sampson, Minister in 1839
George Haygarth 1833 John Oswald Routh 1840-1853
Charles C. Snowden 1836 Thomas R. Jones 1853-1857
Naason Manning 1857-1889
Batchelor........................) ? Curates

Thomas R. Jones signed vestry records only in 1855. No Vicar signed for 1855-1859

20th Century
Cuthbert Routh 1889-1921 William Hilton-Wright M. A. 1946
Oswald Whaley Curate in charge 1921 Henry C. N. Lawson 1952
Charles A.. Weekes M.A.B.D. 1921 Frederick C.J. Turner 1965
Archibald W. E. Dawse 1935 Malcolm Pickering 1975
Edward J. Oakden Edwards M.A. 1939 Leonard Hardaker AKC 1981

The New Song of Hooe Church Bells

(The Old Song was written on July 26th 1898 and published in the "Sussex Express").

From the old tower grey of St. Oswald's at Hooe,
The zephyrs are wafting the music of bells;
Renewed and restored to their fond peaceful home,
In gratitude merry their melody swells.

No longer unpleasing their lays issue now,
For cordage and iron no freedom withhold;
And folk sympathetic the sweetness recall,
That hallowed their ringing on sabbaths of old.

How gladsome the time, long desired, now enjoyed!
Their festal rejoicing unsullied shall be
As over the hills and the levels around
Their peals shall be speeding as heralds in glee.

From Pevensey east to Bexhill and the Sluice,
Through Wartling and Boreham Ninfield and Whydown
Again do they merrily call pious souls
To quicken their race for the heavenly crown.

Compassion aroused did not heedless depart,
The cry of complaining was not made in vain,
And oft as to praises their chiming shall call
Their thanks from the belfry shall echo again.

J.J.N. - May 26th 1899

A Message of the Bells

People all around God ye know is good;
Enter here with praise; Mercies from Him sure;
Come with joyful hearts; Ever firm His truth,
Songs of gladness raise. Ever shall endure
God the Lord indeed Now to join in praise
Us alone did make; Come His courts unto;
Doth our needs supply; Laud His name always
For his sheep doth take. As 'tis right to do.
J.J.N. - May 27th 1899

Plan of St. Pswald's Church, Hooe (page 27 in the book - Click on picture for a MUCH larger image!)

Page 27 Image

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional